news.

I was going to talk about Bitcoin…

If there is something that’s been on my mind a lot lately, is Bitcoin. But I’ve talked about it a lot (on my own blog, giving talks, and annoying friends over beers). I can’t help it. What makes it worse, is that in the media lab, there’s this buzz about Bitcoin every single day. Over lunch and coffee breaks, you’ll hear people talk about the prices, new ideas and theorising over what regulatory bodies will do about Bitcoin. It’s very exciting. There’s already a business being spawned out of these talks (more will probably be revealed later)… and then it dawned on me. Damn, I’m really going to miss this.

For the past 3 years of my 6 year tenure at university, I called the MIH Media Lab my home. In honours, after class I would venture from across campus to the engineering building (I come from the arts faculty), and indulge in the fast internet, great conversations, great coffee and in between work on whatever was needed to be done (homework, thesis or side-projects).

In the beginning of September I handed in my masters thesis, and I reflected on the great opportunities I was given. I grabbed it with open arms: trying to learn as much as I can, ask as much questions as I can to the media lab monday speakers, pick the other labbers’ brains (from engineers to economists), play Call of Duty over lunch (and Resistance), taking the travel opportunities (where I was lucky to meet Tim Berners-Lee in Rio), trolling Twitter, and grabbing beers afterwards when your code doesn’t seem to work with smartest, honest and coolest people I’ve met.

At this stage, I’m starting to sound like an advert. Completely unintentional. In 2009, when the director GJ, e-mailed me about possibly joining the media lab after my undergrad studies, I was a bit hesitant. I wanted to get out there, do a start-up, and make something and not spend more time in academia. But in 2010, a lot of things changed, and I joined the lab in 2011. And so far I can definitely say, it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made. I’m very thankful for it.

, ,